“Always Honoring Our Forgotten War and Service.”
“Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.”
History of the Virginia State Society
The original Virginia State Society was organized on 31 December 1906. The first United States Daughters of 1812 chapter formed in Virginia was named the First Virginia Chapter Number 26. It was organized on 4 November 1911, at Emporia, VA. It was closely followed nine days later by the Dorothea Payne Madison Chapter Number 27, which was organized 13 November 1911, at Richmond. Both of these chapters were disbanded – no dates given. The Commodore H. H. Cocke Chapter Number 30 was organized in Petersburg in 1912 and it was disbanded before 1933. The Elizabeth Livingston Chapter Number 60 was organized 6 April 1918, Bristol, VA, and was disbanded – no date given. The General John Smith Chapter Number 80 was organized 1 March 1922 in Charlottesville and was later disbanded – no date given.
At the 13 October 1969 meeting of the National Board of Directors, NSUSD1812, the State of Virginia was declared an unorganized state, and at that time, Henrietta Ramos Anderson (Mrs. Robert R. Anderson – was appointed Organizing President of the Virginia State Society.
The organizational meeting of the Virginia State Society was held at National Headquarters on 14 October 1969. The Virginia State Society officers were installed by President National Maud Callaway Hays (Mrs. Cecil Theodore Hays). Eighteen members were assigned state numbers 1-18.
The Virginia State Society charter, dated 11 April 1970, was issued by President National Maud Callaway Hays. Forty charter members were assigned State numbers 1-40. Three of the forty charter members still belong to the Virginia State Society.
Between 1982 -1987, three Virginia State Society chapters were organized: Captain William Pepper Chapter was organized in June 1985 (now disbanded), the Hampton Roads Chapter on 14 June 1986, and the Eliza Monroe Chapter on 1 February 1987.
31 July, 2009 Shenandoah Valley Chapter was organized and disbanded in 2016.