1812 Museum

The National Headquarters of the National Society United States Daughters of 1812, is located in Washington, DC. In 1928, the society purchased a three-story brick, Queen Anne style, house at 1461 Rhode Island Avenue NW, which was built in 1884 by Rear Admiral John H. Upshur, USN (1823-1917).

1812 Museum - Welcome!

For over three quarters of a century, dedicated members have donated books to the library, historic artifacts and memorabilia to the museum, and furnished the house with period furniture.

In 1992, the Society purchased the late-Victorian house immediately next-door at 1463 Rhode Island, NW.

1812 Museum - National Headquarters Plaque

The first floor, houses the N.S.U.S.D. of 1812 Memorial Library, which contains many holdings on genealogical research and scholarly studies on the War of 1812 period.  The second floor of the new building, occupies the 1812 Museum.  It is an exceptional facility dedicated to the 1784-1815 time period.

 In 1997, the property was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.

The flagpole out front of the N.S.U.S.D. of 1812′s National Headquarters, is a topgallant mast (marked on picture to left) from the U.S.S. Constitution, was given to the National Society in 1933, following the reconditioning of the famed “Old Ironsides.”

1812 Museum - Flag on Flagpole
1812 Museum - Flag Pole Plaque

Before it could be installed on the front lawn, twenty feet of its original length had to be cut off to be in compliance with District of Columbia height regulations.

On the base of the flagpole it reads:
“Mast From U.S.S. Constitution Presented to National Society United States Daughters 1812 By Mrs. John Francis Weinmann April 1935″