1812 Memorial Library
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S.D.1812 Memorial Library and Museum are closed to visitors until further notice.
The Memorial Library is the only collection in Washington, D.C. focused from the end of the American Revolution through the ratification of the Treaty of Ghent in 1815.
The collection includes the Archives of Pennsylvania, the Archives of Maryland and similar official publications of those states most involved with this period. Rosters of militia for most of the 18 states in the Union during this time period are also in the Library collection. There are more than 5,000 titles in the collection representing some 6,000 volumes.
There is no charge for admission and the public is warmly welcome. The Library is staffed by volunteers who are members of the society. Research assistance will be provided on topics related to the history of the War of 1812 and period from the time of the Revolution as volunteer time is available.
Assistance can not be offered in genealogy or lineage research.
Photocopies are provided at a cost of $.20 per page.
Please Call For Library Hours:
1463 Rhode Island Avenue NW.
Washington, D.C. 20005
*The U.S.D. of 1812 Library and Museum will be closed when the Federal Government buildings are closed or when the District of Columbia schools are closed due to inclement weather. Thank you.
Copies of previously verified U.S.D. of 1812 membership applications and supplementals may be ordered from the Memorial Library for genealogy purposes only. Please know that the U.S.D. of 1812 does not have information on all who served during the War of 1812, only those established by our members.
- Copy of an approved or supplemental application (for personal use only): $10 per application.
- Copy of an ancestor file associated with an application: $10 for first 20 pages plus $.50 for each additional page per file.
- Up to 20 pages copied from library collection materials: $10 for first 20 pages plus $.50 for each additional page.
The National Society United States Daughters of 1812 Memorial Library will provide hourly based search services for items held within the Memorial Library for $20.00/hr with a one hour minimum. The hourly fee covers up to 10 photo copies of material.
Click to download the listed holdings of the 1812 Memorial Library.
U.S.D. of 1812 applications and supplementals are property of the National Society United States Daughters of 1812. Under no circumstances should they be redistributed to others, sold, digitally published or posted in any form whatsoever. Their sole purpose is for personal use in aiding the membership process or as a tool in helping genealogical efforts.
NOTE: Members of the National Society United States Daughters of 1812 reserve the right to request that copies of their applications or supplementals not be shared. The National Society will honor such requests. To protect the privacy of our members, the first page of all application record copies will be removed.
All record copy fees are non-refundable, and no substitutions will be made.
Instructions for Ordering Record Copies
Please provide as much information as possible. Searching our Ancestor Database can help you with this. Each War of 1812 ancestor is listed with a member number (MBR). Due to privacy reasons, member names are not included. By providing the member number, it will greatly help the Memorial Library locate the correct record.
- Please fill out one copy of the Library Service Request Form (PDF) for each record you wish to order.
- Send the Library Service Request Form to the Librarian National per the contact information provided on the form. DO NOT send payment with the form.
- The Librarian National will contact you to confirm receipt and provide the estimated amount due.
- Once you receive the amount due, MAIL a copy of the form with a check payable to Treasurer National, U.S.D. 1812 per the mailing instructions on the form.
- Copies will be mailed to you after receipt of payment.