Please Call For Museum Hours
The 1812 Museum will be open:
Please call for hours
There is no charge for admission and the public is warmly welcome.
Please know that the U.S.D. of 1812 Library and Museum will be closed when the District of Columbia closes school due to snow and incelment weather.
No photography is allowed in the museum.
For information regarding the donation of items or objects, please address inquires to the
Curator National at:
1463 Rhode Island Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20005
The National Headquarters of the National Society United
States Daughters of 1812, is located in Washington, DC. In 1928, the society purchased a
three-story brick, Queen Anne style, house at 1461 Rhode Island Avenue NW, which
was built in 1884 by Rear Admiral John H. Upshur, USN (1823-1917).
For over three quarters of a century, dedicated members have donated books to the library, historic artifacts and memorabilia to the museum, and furnished the house with period furniture.
In 1992, the Society purchased the late-Victorian house immediately next-door at 1463 Rhode Island, NW.
The first floor, houses the N.S.U.S.D. of 1812 Memorial Library, which contains many holdings on genealogical research and scholarly studies on the War of 1812 period. The second floor of the new building, occupies the 1812 Museum. It is an exceptional facility dedicated to the 1784-1815 time period.
In 1997, the property was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
The flagpole out front of the N.S.U.S.D. of 1812's National Headquarters, is a topgallant mast (marked on picture to left) from the U.S.S. Constitution, was given to the National Society in 1933, following the reconditioning of the famed "Old Ironsides."
Before it could be installed on the front lawn, twenty feet of its original length had to be cut off to be in compliance with District of Columbia height regulations.
On the base of the flagpole it reads:
"Mast From U.S.S. Constitution
Presented to National Society United States Daughters 1812
By Mrs. John Francis Weinmann April 1935"